Sunday, September 25, 2011

RiotFest...

I hope I never get too old
To the point where seeing
Some of my favorite bands play
And scream along to some of my favorite songs of all time
And I leave a show not dripping sweat with a hoarse voice
When I wake up in the morning after such a show
That I can barely move
But every painful turn of my head
Isn't worth it
I hope I never get too old
That screaming along to "Trusty Chords"
Doesn't make me forget about all of life's troubles
That seeing Samiam
Doesn't remind me what made me love them back when I was 17
That getting hit in the face because I'm too close to the pit
Or in the pit itself
Makes me shudder and think to myself
This is beneath me
That when some stranger has his arm around you
While you're belting out songs along with the rest of the crowd
Doesn't make you forget that this is music you love more than any other
I never want to not be able to rage in a circle of punks
And I never want to NOT risk injury
To protect other people from unwanted flailing arms
I love punk rock
I will always love punk rock
I always want to be able to feel
That screaming my abdominals into soreness
is some sort of catharsis
And a break from cubicle chattle
I never want to be too old
That the fact that I can't speak
Because I am so hoarse and my voice is shot from screaming/shouting/singing along
Doesn't speak for itself
I always want to know
What it feels like to be surrounded by strangers
Who love the same things you love
But it's even better because you're with
A few people who always felt, and still always feel
The same way that I do

I loved RiotFest. I love Fernando, and Dave, and Amanda, for this weekend. I love Hot Water Music, and the Holy Mess, and Samiam, and the Menzingers, and Larry & His Flask, and the Suicide Machines, and everyone else who I saw at RiotFest. I love every feeling that I had on Saturday, INCLUDING getting hit in the face, and having dudes nearly crush my elbow.

I love punk rock, and I love being a punk.

No comments: